Help identifying pressure reducer valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Gryff

Reaction score
Hi all,

Complete plumbing noob here, but I am trying to solve what (I think) should be a simple problem.

The water pressure reducer valve on our water main has started leaking out of the small hole that is in the top of it. I guess the water has been leaking for a while, because when I took it off the body, the internals were pretty corroded.

It appears the diaphragm is shot.

I took the bell-shaped piece and the internals into a local plumbing supply house, but they told me that they can't identify the manufacturer. They said that there should have been a small metal tab that had the maker's info on it, but I never found this piece.

I would much rather repair this than replace it, but I need help trying to figure out who produced it.

The following markings are on the body of the valve:

--W S-->
1 3/4 N
L I
K

Here is a picture of the actual valve

valve.jpg

I appreciate help that anyone can provide.

Gryff

Newowner123

Reaction score
That looks suspiciously look the Wilkins model 70 I just put in my house. It's only $62 at Home Depot. I advise you to replace it.

I am also a complete newbie so caveat emptor.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're wasting your time and probably money. Just get a new one. You should have a thermal expansion tank installed between the PRV and the water heater. That may very well be due for replacing. You will know if you put a new PRV in and the TP valve on the water heater starts leaking. Your old PRV is not preventing the expansion from being absorbed by the water main so you're getting by now, the the new PRV will stop the expansion. You will need to get a pressure gauge to set both the PRV and the expansion tank. The expansion tank come charged, but you still need to balance the pressures on both units.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks