Help identifying Moen shower trim kit

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by leubanks83, Jul 28, 2012.

1. leubanks83

leubanks83 New Member

I have a home that was built in 1984, and now I cannot find the brand to the shower to replace the trim kit. I got an estimate on replacing the shower valve, but that was way too expensive. I have to believe I can find a trim kit that matches this one. Any help? Or does anyone know where I can research to find this?

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You have the older Moen Chateau shower trim. All hardware stores carry this trim.
  3. leubanks83

leubanks83 New Member

I thought it was a Moen, but Home Depot's Moen trim kits didn't have the screw holes in the right place. None of them lined up. Neither did Lowes. Are there any good online retailers to look for this? Thank you so much for your help!

4. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

There are 4 basic Moen valve/trims : Chateau teardrop shape handle, flat plate ( this is yours ); Legend round handle, bowl plate; Moentro, teardrop handle, bowl plate, screw holes different; Positemp..larger teardrop handle, plate similar to Moentrol, but handle and stop tube diameter larger.

You should stop doing business with any store which cannot supply all four of these VERY common parts.
  6. leubanks83

leubanks83 New Member

Thanks, I'll see if I can find those. I was really hoping to find an oil rubbed-bronze trim kit.

All the ones labeled "Moen Chateau" seem to be Chrome or Brushed Nickel. All of the Moen oil rubbed bronze trim kits seem to be labeled Kingsley and Brantford. Is there some master catalog where I could find an ORB Moen Chateau trim kit? I've been scouring web sites for hours, but none of the ORB ones have the Chateau listed, so I'm worried I'll order something that won't work.

Thank you guys for the help.

7. leubanks83

leubanks83 New Member

Also, how can I tell whether Chateau trim kits will fit mine since apparently mine is push-pull? Most of these don't say! I wish I knew more about this stuff!
  8. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/faq

you have a standard, non pressure balanced valve.

A recent innovation now makes it possible to retrofit Moentrol trim to standard valves. Service kit number 145058 (shown below) can be ordered to make the change. (from the above page)

edited: you have the standard valve, not the posi-temp one i thought it was.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  9. leubanks83

leubanks83 New Member

How did I not find this on their web site? Thank you so much.

10. leubanks83

leubanks83 New Member

With the service kit, any of the Kingsley or Brantley kits should work on my existing valve, right?
  11. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

it says it fits moentrol valves. i would look for whatever you want that fits a moentrol valve & then get just the trim and get that adaptor plate. i've never used it. i'm just a diy'er, maybe the plumbers will respond to this in a bit.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  12. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

When you want to replace trim for a valve which has been out of production for probably 10 years, your trim options become very limited. Chrome is in. Maybe some brushed nickel, the second most asked for trim finish. Any of the bronzes.....good luck, but Danco or one of the other aftermarkets may even have that one.

You will likely NOT be able to use a bowl-shaped Moentrol trim. Your valve is too close to the finished wall surface. But worth a try.
  13. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You need a Moentrol trim kit and the adapter to change the bolt pattern. The Positemp is completely incompatible with your valve.
  14. leubanks83

leubanks83 New Member

Thank you everyone for the words of wisdom. I'm new to this DIY lifestyle. This is my first home, so I know I have a lot to learn.

I ordered the service kit and the Kingsley Moentrol trim kit.

One follow-up question:

There is some gray plastic on top of the valve. I assume that was to make it flush with the finished shower. Do I need to remove that gray plastic before attaching the service kit adapter to the valve? Or does the adapter go on top of the gray plastic?
  15. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The gray plastic is there to prevent the tile guy from going right up to the valve. It can be thrown away. It serves no purpose now.
  16. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It should be loose so you can remove it and throw it away. It would interfere with the new bolts anyway.
  17. Hackneyplumbing

Hackneyplumbing Homeowner

Its also a thin wall mounting bracket/support. It stays on the valve and supports the fiberglass from behind. Sounds crappy.....yep I agree. LOL