Help identifiying faucet brand

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by NewToPlumbing, May 9, 2011.

1. NewToPlumbing

NewToPlumbing New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a leaky kitchen faucet and I can't figure out what brand is it. A friend suggested that I post a picture of it on this forum in the hope that someone can recognize it ... help!

P50900753.jpg
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

That is a Delta faucet.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is a Delta faucet, and the one problem you may have, if it has been leaking at the handle, may be that the whole faucet will turn when you try to unscrew the "cap". I hope you are lucky and it unscrews easily.
  4. NewToPlumbing

NewToPlumbing New Member

Thanks! it is leaking from the faucet, so hopefully it will unscrew easily ... any suggestion for what to do if it doesn't?
    Also, I asked for a repair kit for Delta faucets at the hardware store and they pointed me to a Danco kit that comes with a brass ball ... I was planning to look for the genuine kit online but would like to hear your opinions? Are they both good? Why would anyone put a brass ball instead of stainless steel?
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Mox Nix.

On parts like that, the Danco or other generic, or one with the OEM Delta label......probably all made in the same factory in China. Masco is the parent of Alsons, Delta, Danco, et all....and the parts are just one big happy family!
  6. NewToPlumbing

NewToPlumbing New Member

Great. That makes things easier.
  7. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

When you go to take the bonnet off do not squeeze it to hard as it could distort the bonnet.Use just enough pressure to get it to turn.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I have not used a brass or plastic ball for years. The only good one is the stainless steel version, but since that is probably what is in your faucet, you can reuse it.
  9. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The primary wear part in that type of faucet is a set of springs and rubber seals...both are easily replaced once you get the handle and cap off.
  10. NewToPlumbing

NewToPlumbing New Member

Makes sense to reuse the ball that is already in there (I wonder why they include one in the standard kit anyway). And yes, I think the problem must be the springs and seals since there are positions in which there is no leak at all ... I'll be extra careful with the bonnet then. Thank you all.
  11. NewToPlumbing

NewToPlumbing New Member

Sorry I didn't report on this before. Everything went well, the ball was in prefect shape, but all the rubbery parts were worn out. The replacement was VERY easy and the faucet works like new again! Thank you all guys.