HELP! I think I used the wrong cement

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
I recently had to plumb in a new toilet supply line for a bathroom remodel. I transitioned from copper to CPVC using a sharkbite fitting, which seems to be working great. I used purple primer on all the fittings, which is labeled as okay for CPVC. But after that I used Oatey (green label) PVC cement to join all my CPVC fittings . Do I need to take it all out and re-build the CPVC parts with CPVC cement?

If I have to re-do it, it's not a huge section, and I have full access to it in the basement -- so it's not the end of the world -- just a pain the _ss.

Do I have to re-build it?

Thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Read the label. If it doesn't say it is for CPVC then it will not have solvent welded right and you run the risk of having a joint pop and flooding the area big time. It will take less than 10 seconds to create a large flood @ 50 PSI coming out a 1/2" line and if your not home and it happens you won't be a happy camper.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cement

The only green cement I have ever seen was for transitioning from ABS to PVC, and is normally only used for drainage piping. If that is what you used it is absolutely the wrong one for that application. Even true PVC cement will not hold long on the wrong material.

Dgold

Avoid DIYer
Reaction score
Thank you

Thanks for the feedback. I re-did that section with CPVC cement and all is well.

The cement I had used originally wasn't green, it was clear, but the Oatey label on the can was green.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks