Help - guidance on recessed lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

Cubfan_Mark

Reaction score
Good afternoon - I am finishing my basement, 9' walls, and I plan to install a suspended ceiling at about 8', so I don't have to build soffits around ducts, etc. So there will be about a foot difference between my floor joists and my suspended ceiling.

I notice they have both new construction and remodel recessed light housing. The new construction I could used and attach to the ceiling grid (if I read the box correctly) and the remodel appears as though it would just sit on top of the ceiling tile.

Can someone recommend which type would better suit my situation, and also recommend which name brand (Halo at Home Depot, Thomas at *******, etc) housing will do the job.

Thanks!

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any new construction cans will work fine. You can let them sit on top of the grid before you start installing the panels. After you cut the hole in the panel for the recessed light put in THAT panel and then use some small sheet metal screws and attach the can to the track. Obviously you can't easily remove the panel with the light in it after this, but it makes for a strong can installation. (The small screws used for metal stud walls work great if you already have some.)
-rick

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have access to them, Juno new construction can lights are great for suspended ceiling installations. They have notches on the bar hangers specifically for the ceiling grids.

Cubfan_Mark

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I do have access to the Juno lighting.

I am thinking about the 5" or 6" cans with an open trim. I also want to put these on a dimmer. Is there a light bulb recommendation, as I am using this for general lighting needs.

Thanks.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'll have to do this eventually. Can anyone remember how many square feet a 60 watt can will cover?

I will need to work out how many I need to buy when I get round to installing a ceiling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks