Help Fixing Basement Floor Drains

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by djmed, Dec 30, 2008.

1. djmed

djmed New Member

First time poster looking for some advice on updating/replacing some drains in my basement floor.

A home that I bought has a regularly noticable odor of sewer gas in the basement. I have determined the source is from two floor drains with faulty/corroded iron bell traps (numbers 1 and 2 in sketch) and an untrapped open pipe stub out of the floor (number 4 in sketch) where wash tub and fiberglass shower (number 3 in sketch) drain pipes are shoved into it. All under slab piping is 3" clay. Please see the sketch I attached.

What I would like to do is cut up the basement floor in required locations and replace the floor drains with PVC drains with p-traps, and replace the open pipe, and above slab shower drain pipe with proper below slap piping, traps, and vents. Venting is a concern. I am not sure what is necessary for the shower and wash tub, as they are not currently vented. Also, there is not a possiblity of connecting to the house's only roof vent, as it is on the other side of the house. Are AAV's a possibility?

Any thoughts and suggested pipe layouts are appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. gardner

gardner DIY Senior Member

AAVs may be allowed where you are. Where are you?
  3. djmed

djmed New Member

Western Pennsylvania.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drains

I have never seen 3" clay pipe, nor do I see any "Fernco" or similar couplings for a 3" clay pipe. They all start at 4".
  5. djmed

djmed New Member

They could actually be 4", I just eyeballed them. I'll doublecheck. I think I see what you are getting at. I was planning on making the PVC to clay pipe connections with Fernco fittings.
  6. djmed

djmed New Member

They are 4". Any thoughts on how to vent the shower?