Help finding traditional style toilet with concealed trapway.

Users who are viewing this thread

nowwhatnapster

Reaction score
I am having a really hard time finding a toilet. Little background about my house. 1950 ranch with the original american "standard" ming green bathroom. Matching toilet, sink and tub. Doing a complete gut of this bathroom and saving the original fixtures for second bathroom in the basement.

My requirements are as follows:

• NO ADA height, 15/15.5" bowl height MAX.
  • 12" rough in
  • Single flush, either 1.6 or 1.28gal. is fine, hopefully it does not cause drainage issues. Only one way to find out!
  • Traditional, two piece look that does not accentuate the trapway shape. It should be flat. I do not want to see the path excrement travels. I guess I want what is called a concealed trapway, however, every toilet by that name is very very modern looking.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The combo of NOT ADA, and must be 2-piece, and concealed trapway is a problem if you don't want it to look modern. If you'd take a 1-piece or ADA, you'd have more options.

Let me also say that most of the time toilets are installed such that you don't really see the portion with the trapway outline, but given your rather-aggressively stated concerns about seeing the trapway, I guess that's not good enough.

If you can find a previous-model Vespin CST764S or Carrolton CST774S, and it will be hard but not impossible since they have been discontinued, that may do the trick for you. I wouldn't worry about buying a discontinued Toto GMax toilet, however, as replacement parts will be easy to come by for a decade or more. You can get replacement parts for these toilets at Lowe's, made by the company that makes them for Toto (named Korky, in Wisconsin), at reasonable prices, and you can also get replacement parts directly from Toto. So that's not a concern. The trend is to "universal height", particularly in the skirted models.

I notice that Terry still shows them available in his online store, but I don't know if that means he still has some in stock; he doesn't ship, however. Nevertheless, a local plumbing supply may still have one or the other of them. You'd be hard-pressed to find them online, however.

Last edited:

nowwhatnapster

Reaction score
I appreciate the post so I wanted to follow up and let everyone know my findings. After a few months of searching I located a toilet that is as close to my specifications as possible. I did compromise and get an ADA height.

Mansfield Barret 115-106
Per the spec sheet
http://www.mansfieldplumbing.com/pdf/115-106.pdf
  • 12" rough in
  • 800 MAP score
  • single 1.6gal flush
  • Two piece
  • compact elongated bowl
  • concealed trapway that does not look incredibly modern.
  • 16-1/4" tall, (yes it is above my max, but it meets every other requirement, and its the shortest ADA height you can find)

Reasonably priced about $300 locally.

For the record, take off your any titanium rings you wear before handling the toilet. I managed to scratch the enamel removing it from the box. Thankfully it will be hidden by the seat.

MushCreek

Reaction score
That's a nice looking toilet. I'll have to see if I can get one here in SC. My wife LOVES the concealed trap toilets for ease of cleaning, but we are building a Craftsman house with lots of antique touches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks