Help finding replacement parts for Crane brand shower stems.

Users who are viewing this thread

bobbyd33

Reaction score
So I live in an apartment in a old building, the tub has been leaking from the spout for a while getting worse with time. It is the water hot/cold handles as if I really tighten them it gets better.

I finally took it apart to fix it last night. I discovered that it is a Crane brand shower. I took the stems out and noticed the rubber washers on the end were completely worn out. I measured and took photos of the stem and did some online research.

So I came across this
http://www.chicagofaucetshoppe.com/Crane_FB1077_6_3_4_Length_p/crafb1077.htm
It looks to be the exact same stem.

So my question is, does anyone happen to know if this stem is made by other manufactures? If I went to lowes or home depot would they sell it. I really dont want to spend $50 each on these things. Not sure if anyone makes replacement parts for the Crane FB1077 basically, or if I can get one of those shower rebuild kits I saw that would fit in.

Im going to track down the washers and replace them first and hope that that will fix it.

Thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Be glad you found it and can fix the thing without chopping the wall open and replacing it...

If your stem is okay then all you need is washers and possibly a seat.

Last edited:

bobbyd33

Reaction score
Well I ended up replacing the 1/2" washers on the end of the stem. Bought beveled and flat and the beveled ones seemed to give a better seal.
The Hot water still drips a little bit though, but it is 1000X better than it was. I looked in the hole with a flashlight and am not sure if there was a seat or not, It didn't look as if anything inside was removable. Looked like just the pipe.
But its good enough a drip won't bother me, after all it is just an apartment not my house. See no need to tell landlord about it to rip it apart and up my rent as he does with people who call on him to fix things

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is probably a Crane/Repcal stem, (some made during the War had galvanized steel bodies instead of brass), and if so the valve does not have removable stems and the seats have to be CAREFULLY renewed internally. If not done carefully with the proper tool you WILL destroy the valve and have to replace it. IF it were removable, it would have a square, or hexagonal", opening in the center of the seat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks