Help: Explorer won't load any sites

Users who are viewing this thread

SD44

Reaction score
I was browsing around on my home pc last night with no problems, while loading some pics from my scanner. All of a sudden, no websites would load. Every site I tried to pull up gave me the ole "windows explorer cannot display this page" message. I rebooted, didn't work. did an antivirus update, didn't work. defragged, didn't work. did a system restore to last week, didn't work.

I'm definitely connected to the internet, because i have the little monitor icon in the bottom right corner that tells me my connection speed, plus it let my antivirus download an update. Any ideas? I've rebooted a dozen times since last night.

SD44

Reaction score
I'm at work. I've never used another type browser other than Explorer, and don't really want to. I want to fix Explorer. I even had the little yellow shield in the bottom right corner where it was uploading a microsoft update, but for some reason my explorer browser still won't work.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Reboot your modem. Usually unplugging your modem , waiting 5 minutes will reset it. You may have a reset button on your modem as well (usually with the end of a pen you can reset/reboot)

SD44

Reaction score
Reboot your modem. Usually unplugging your modem , waiting 5 minutes will reset it. You may have a reset button on your modem as well (usually with the end of a pen you can reset/reboot)

my modem is internal, but I haven't tried unplugging everything. I'll try that tonight.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I'm at work. I've never used another type browser other than Explorer, and don't really want to. I want to fix Explorer. I even had the little yellow shield in the bottom right corner where it was uploading a microsoft update, but for some reason my explorer browser still won't work.

The reason I asked, was that if you can, we've narrowed the problem down to IE, and not something else.

Also, because if you can post from the same room as the computer, it'd make all of this easier, no lag in the conversation.

And because if the problem really is IE, and not something else, I was going to suggest a fresh re-install of Internet Explorer - uninstall it, reboot, then download a fresh copy & install it. If the problem's something in IE, that should do it.

But you will need another browser to do that. Unless you have it on disk somewhere?

What've you got against other browsers, anyways?

FYI, any of the three is a lot easier to use, noticeably faster, way more resistant to virus & malware, and way less buggy than Explorer.

SD44

Reaction score
Okay, I uninstalled then reinstalled my internet provider (peoplepc). That allowed my yahoo messenger to work, which I couldn't do the night before; I even chatted with some friends last night on it. And my antivirus will still download updates. Peoplepc also has it's own browser-type window that opens when you're online (kinda like AOL), and it has it's usual links and advertisements loading on it.

But Explorer still won't work. I doesn't give me the "page cannot be displayed" message anymore on the browser, like it did the night before. Instead it just gives me the "connecting" message on the tab, like it's trying to load the homepage. But it never loads. And if I click anywhere on the browser, I get the (not responding) message at the very top of the browser, like it's locked up.

I don't have any other type browsers on my pc. I guess my only option now is to find a friend with a Microsoft Office CD and try to re-install Explorer. Any other suggestions? :(

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am pretty inept at computers. But if I have trouble, I first just do a restart. That fixes a lot of things. Next is to do a system restore to a few days ago. If it's beyond that, call the Geek Squad!

SD44

Reaction score
Guys read the initial post. I've done a system restore to a previous point, I've obviously rebooted several times.

How can you NOT install the provider's software, and still have internet service? I have dialup, by the way, it's the only thing we can get here. :cool:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
How can you NOT install the provider's software, and still have internet service? I have dialup, by the way, it's the only thing we can get here. :cool:

You only need the settings provided by the provider for pop/smtp, dialup numbers and such. I've never used anything besides IE and Firefox.

SD44

Reaction score
I never could get it straightened out, I just bit the bullet and started over from scratch. I uninstalled and reinstalled XP, and added everything back on. Explorer works now, would've still been nice to know what went wrong.

For some reason now I can't download yahoo messenger. it gives me the RUN or START icon to start downloading it, and as soon as I select either one (tried both) the icon goes away but it never starts downloading. I even tried turning my firewall off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks