HELP! Dripping sound coming from my wall!

Users who are viewing this thread

TallMauiMan

Reaction score
OK, first of all I live in Maui on the Southshore where it hardly rains...so I don't have a leak in my roof, because it hasn't rained in weeks.

I own a two story house, where the 2nd story was an ad-on about 20 yrs ago. The only bath upstairs is directly above my two baths downstairs. My two baths share a common wall (where all the plumbing is located) and this is where I'm hearing what seems to be dripping sounds.

FACTS/Observations:

1. The dripping sounds vary in sound volume quite a bit (from barely noticeable to loud enough to hear standing 15 feet away) and it's 'beat' or cadence is variable as well. Sometimes the dripping sound will quit for hours. I can hear the dripping from the upstairs bath, but it sounds like its from a distance and not as loud as in the downstairs baths. The dripping sound is strongest from the master bath (downstairs), the other downstairs bath dripping sound is also very strong. I cannot discern where exactly the sound is the strongest. Both baths are long and I can hear the dripping sounds coming from either end. One sink in one bath is opposite the other baths' shower. And visa versa for the other shower/sink. Both toilets are opposite each other or pretty close to it. I first noticed the dripping sound at least a couple of weeks ago, but thought it was something else or from our high winds here on Maui.

2. When I turn off the main H2O valve to the house, the dripping sounds immediately stops. I've tried this about six times, and the dripping sounds have always stopped.

3. There is NO visible water damage at all on the walls, ceilings, or on the floors (slab on first floor)

4. There is NO correlation between the dripping sound and the flushing of the upstairs toilet or the running of the upstairs shower or sink. I've looked at the shower valve and everything is dry in the wall there. The upstairs toilet is not leaking/running (I've replaced the fill valve, the flush valve and the toilet turn off wall valve [the old turn off valve was not turning completely off]) AFTER I noticed the dripping sound. I even completely stopped all water from dispensing from upstairs for two days and the dripping sound remained the same, very variable in its loudness and cadence.

5. I've found NO correlation between the dripping sound and the flushing of the either downstairs toilets or the running of either of the downstairs showers or sinks. I've looked at both downstairs shower valves and everything is dry inside the wall there. Both toilets DO NOT leak or run.

6. Both downstairs baths are wall to wall Floor tiled and the baseboards are tiled as well.

I have not done a moisture test of the walls or the flooring, but will as soon as I get a tester. Any recommendations of inexpensive Testers (non-evasive) would be appreciated.

It can be quite windy here on Maui, and I've found no correlation between the high winds and the dripping sounds. I briefly thought that maybe one of the plumbing exhaust pipes might be clanging against something.

The only thing that I haven't tried is turning off the hot water line coming from the water heater, which I can't do since I don't have an on/off valve.

So, I am totally perplexed!

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Well, you definitely have a leak. If you turn the water off and the drip sound stops - that sounds conclusive to me. Now just need to find the leak.
You may not be able to see a stain or water spot on the outside of the drywall until the damage is extensive. I would forget about the moisture tester and just get one of those "inspection borescope cameras" (maybe you can rent it, or bring in a plumber that has one). You make a small hole (easy to patch) and stick the camera wand in there and look around. Something like this (I'm not recommending this - just an example) http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-61839.html Be sure it has a light on the end of the wand. Good luck.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It may be a toilet flapper that is leaking. It might be dripping inside the drain pipe and you hear it hitting the inside of the pipe at a bend. So there would be no water leaking out and damaging your house.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
It may be a toilet flapper that is leaking. It might be dripping inside the drain pipe and you hear it hitting the inside of the pipe at a bend. So there would be no water leaking out and damaging your house.

Good point! Shut off the water feed to toilet and flush/drain toilet tank - to eliminate this as a possible cause of your drip sound.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks