Help.. clogged floor drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephehlerz

Reaction score
So our basement backs up sometimes in the floor drain, when we do laundry. So we bought an industrial floor snake and every 3 months when it happens.. we just run the snake thru and clean it.. and we are good to go. This time.. we get thru.. and the water is still coming up... but also coming up when we flush the toilet too.. there are a couple clean traps to open.. one is on a 6-8" wide vertical pipe 3 feet from the floor.. I dont want to open that because i know it is draining right from the toilet and i am going to get water flushing out.. but.. There is also one in the floor next to that piping. Should water come rushing out or not? I want to open it and put the snake thru that.. to see if thats where the clog is.

Reach4

Reaction score
Clogged sewer or septic? Probably sewer, since you did not mention having an ejection pump.

Are you at the bottom of the hill and snow is melting? If not, maybe ask your downhill neighbor with a basement if the sewers have backed up.

That cover flush with the floor may be the cleanout for the anti-backup valve. Those things tend to leak from the city sewer to the house due to debris holding the flapper open partially.

I would remove the opening 3 ft off the floor, and probe the water depth there. That will tell you if the problem is before that spot or after that spot. It also tells you what to expect if you open the floor-level plug. Don't leave the cover off. If it does not unscrew, you can remove it with a chisel. Have a plastic replacement cap before you take a chisel to the brass cap. Don't flush while the cap is off.

I am not a pro, and you might want to call one.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks