HELP Broken Flange and surrounding cement

Users who are viewing this thread

aalarco26

Reaction score
Hello in trying to install our new toilet we discovered that the previous home owner had glued the flange to the PVC itself and in the whole time it has been there it has cracked (severly) in several places so bad in fact that the old toilet had only been bolted down on one side and rocked back and forth.

Anyways we discovered this and are now unable to bolt down the new toilet. We went to Lowes and were told to try a metal peice that fits over the exsisting Flange to try to just use this line it up and be on our way BUT the fact that it is shattered in so many places we are not able to do so and not only that but the cement around the flange is completly chipped and broken too so we have NOWHERE to even screw in the screws TO bolt down the toilet.

We had a plumber come look at it and were told that ONLY way to fix this would be to break out what is left of the exsiting flange and in doing so this would crack the cemnet and tile around it and we would have to pay $400 and that was MIN price (AND the $120 Per Hour for him to do it!!!)

Is there ANYTHING we can do I mean couldnt we just pour some quick dry cement in the tiny holes? and well I dont know bc the borken Flange is still there... There has got to be a cheaper way out of this it just doesnt seem right that this is our only option... Really??!?!?! Help PLEASE

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe some of Billy May's Mighty Putty? Hate to tell you, but sometimes there are no cheap ways to fix problems. I'm sure you don't want a hack job that will likely fail in the near future. I didn't quite understand what you said was a problem when you said the flange was glued to the PVC. Of course it is. Flanges are solidly attached to the drain. Cast iron is poured lead and oakum, PVC and ABS are solvent welded (that's glued in lay-speak) If the pipe or flange is broken, then it needs to be fixed and the only way to do it is the right way. Unfortunately, that will cost.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

How about a picture of the situation. Your description does not tell us anything we really need to know to make a suggestion. However I have had VERY, VERY few that had to have the floor broken to repair them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks