Help ASAP: Short cycling

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by grumpy, Oct 24, 2010.

1. grumpy

grumpy New Member

Hi, First post thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I have a Rudd Multi-Tube boiler ser 480-01974 model CB576C for 6 small apartments and 2 commercial units. Guessing it is 1974 or earlier model.(maybe 60's, building is 100 yrs plus)

Pump--->Flow Switch--->Boiler--->Air Tank/auto fill--->Pressure/Temp--->Level Control---Honeywell Control.

max input btu 576000
    pump in return 2" Armstrong 1/6th HP Pump Motor P/N 817025-005
    Boiler piping 2" to 3" to 1.5"
    Limit control set at 175 degrees
    Pressure is 16PSI

The problem is that the boiler is on for <5 min and temp gauge says 140 degrees when it stops
    Temp Gauge reaches 120 Degrees after 12 mins and the cycle starts again.
    Pump only operates when there is a call for heat.
    Outside temp today is 3 degrees Celsius = 37.4 degrees Fahrenheit

Basement has no rads but it sure is a sweat shop, all units very warm too. The thermostat is on the second floor hallway.
  2. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

What's your fuel usage during this 5 minute "on" period?
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  3. grumpy

grumpy New Member

Don't really understand the question, but the boiler does have a 1" gas line feeding it. My concerns are two fold cost of course and comfort.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Sounds like its not circulating right.
  5. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

It seems your furnace has become more efficient than it used to be, or your units take way less heating, both of which seem impossible. Fuel usage may give us a clue.
    Do you use NG or oil? Each has a different "heat of combustion".

What were the "on" and "off" times before the short-cycling started? Being on for 5 out of 5 + 12 minutes means you're using 5/17 of 576000 BTU/hr, about 170,000 BTU/hr. 60/17 is 3.5 cycles per hour and not all that high.

To check if the furnace turns off because the high limit switch is opening, rather than t'stat contacts opening, you'll probably need a multimeter.
    Having a flow meter in the line may also give a clue.

Can you post a schematic?
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. grumpy

grumpy New Member

Thanks for the replies

Redwood that is part of my concern, who knows what has been done over the years, surely not me as I have only owned this building since May. (Been a commercial tenant for 25 years)

Thatguy it is NG, history is unknown. If you think that those times are not bad then I will worry less as this is my first boiler. But why is the limit switch set to 175 while the thermostat is working between 125 and 140?
    Schematic, would have to break out the crayons I'm not even sure if this is primary secondary or parallel. Will check next time there, but I do know there is several feeds going upstairs in many different locations and the other boiler another Rudd but 210000 BTU in another part of the building is plumbed parrallel.