Help appreciated! : stripped Moen retainer pin / clip

Users who are viewing this thread

Chargersjay1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thank you for your time.

I am trying to replace the cartridge for my shower (Moen 1225) for the first time on my own, but the retainer clip is stuck. Looks like someone stripped off the top part of the retainer pin / clip which you need to remove before taking out the cartridge. There is not enough surface for my needle nose pliers to hold onto. Are there any solutions to this? I really appreciate it!

Photos here:
https://goo.gl/photos/rkqacia1xtUgy5949

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes a flat blade screwdriver can catch on the top of the clip and move it up a bit. Sort of like a chisel would catch on the metal.
You might also be able to work from the bottom side of the clip and force it up that way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pushing up both sides from the bottom is the way to go. If you are not lucky, and the cartridge jams while pulling it, removing the clip may be the easiest part of the job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks