Help - Air in Lines after Pump replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

ShanPE

Reaction score
Hi - new to this forum, but I have been searching through it over the last month and have seen some great responses and advice. We have an 18 year old home on a shallow well system. Last month we noticed that our well pump was on constantly and never shut off. Shortly after, we started losing water pressure and the pipes were sputtering out air by times. The problem was worse upstairs - we live in a split entry and the pump is located in the basement. When my husband tested pressure at the well pump (1/2HP Gould's jet pump - can't remember the model, but they no longer make them) it was really poor. So we purchased a new pump (3/4HP gould's) and replaced the old one. At first everything seemed fine. Our water pressure is great throughout the house. However, last week we started getting sputtering again - sounds like air in the lines as the toilet is refilling, etc. When we shower, you can hear air, but pressure is fine. We thought perhaps the filter was just clogged as replacing the pump and our issues from before had disturbed some sediment. So, my husband replaced the filter. That didn't help - we are still getting the air sounds. The new pump seems to be working fine and the pressure is steady in the house and at the pump. It seems the problem is somewhere between the tank and the house. Could there be a problem/clog somewhere in the lines? Does it make sense that our pressure is still okay even though we can hear air?

Reach4

Reaction score
A leak in the suction line would seem to match your symptoms. Glued PVC? Union with a gasket? Or what?

Glued PVC joints can be fixed by letting the joint suck PVC glue while pumping. Union might be fixed with silicone grease on the O-ring and tightening better. If there was a sound at the pump, you could try getting joints wet. While the joint is wet, that can block a small vacuum leak, and that identifies the point of the leak.

Well running low of water could be possible, but that would generally show when water use has been high and would also have a drop in pressure at that time.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
What kind of pressure tank do you have? Is is a bladder tank, or an old style with a Air Volume Control (AVC) sticking out the side about half way up?

ShanPE

Reaction score
What kind of pressure tank do you have? Is is a bladder tank, or an old style with a Air Volume Control (AVC) sticking out the side about half way up?

Glued PVC? Union with a gasket? Or what?

I'll have to check on both of these when I get home...

If it's a suction line problem, would I still have issues even if the pump isn't running?

ShanPE

Reaction score
With that type tank, any air that goes in, will come right back out the faucets.
It's a bladder tank. It seems our problems only happen when water hasn't been used in a while...such as in the morning or after we come home from work. Once the water is running for a few minutes the air blasts stop. Pressure still doesn't seem to be an issue - had a shower last night with the washer going and had no problems.
When I got up this morning and flushed the toilet it made all kinds of sputtering noises. Washed my hands and it sputtered for 1 second then was fine. Both my husband and I showered and had no issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks