HELP - Air From Fixtures...Hole In Suction Line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Josh in Delaware

Reaction score
I've been having an issue with air discharge from my faucets, etc. for several years now. I can't seem to solve the problem. I sincerely hope someone can help me figure this out, because it's driving me crazy.

I am located in central DE. My water comes from a private well. It is a mud rotary well constructed in 2003. It's 45' with a 2" PVC casing that is also the suction line. The bottom 10' is screened and the well is gravel packed from 32'. About 2' below the surface is the Standard "T" connection that connects to the black plastic line which runs to the 1/2 hp Goulds Jet Pump in my crawl space. There is an inline check valve at the pump inlet, which I replaced last weekend. That check valve does work properly, because when the pump shuts off the pressure does not drop. I do not know if there is a foot valve. However, when the water isn't used for a while (several hours, overnight, etc.), when the faucets are turned on there is a lot of air discharge for a few minutes. Eventually it will clear, and the water will be fine with good pressure. I don't think it's a problem with the well yield. From my own research, I've come to the conclusion that there must be a hole somewhere between the check valve and the bottom of the well pipe. Earlier this week, I started to uncover the black plastic line in my yard to the well pipe to see if there might have been an underground connection made other than at the T on the well pipe. The distance between the pump and the well pipe is less than 100', so I think it's one solid line. I dug up about 20' or so. Then I dug up the connection of that black line to the well pipe, and turned the hose on to see what happens when the pump runs. With it drawing water, I didn't see any leaks, but it does make a "glug glug glug" sound while water is leaving the well. I will try to attach a video with this thread. Could that signify a hole in the well pipe? Is there anyway to diagnose that? I don't know if the well is constructed with 10' sections of pipe or 20' and I don't know of the joints are glued or threaded. I'm thinking that if the well is 45' and the bottom 10' is screen, then maybe they used 10' sections, but no matter what, the top of the well should only be about a 5' section of pipe. Maybe I can dig down that far to see what the connection is like. I'm worried about trying to pull up the pipe and having it break or not being able to get it back down into the grouted section, etc.

Any suggestions/help/advice are GREATLY appreciated. I'll try attaching a video of the well drawing water.

Josh in Delaware

Reaction score
What kind of pressure tank do you have? Maybe all you need is an air volume control in the side of the tank.

I have a bladder tank. 8 gallons, think. The air pressure in the bladder is properly set to 2psi below the cut in pressure of 30psi.

Josh in Delaware

Reaction score
Then you most likely have a leak in the suction line. Probably pretty close to where you hear the "gurgling".
Then you most likely have a leak in the suction line. Probably pretty close to where you hear the "gurgling".

I uploaded a 15 second video to my YouTube channel of what the water sounds like at the well/black plastic line connection while the pump is running.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks