Help - Advice on Waste line/vent

Users who are viewing this thread

tmy23

Reaction score
Greetings. And thanks in advance for any help. I am converting a small room (8x8) that was a nursery connected to the MBR into a bathroom, with tile shower, toilet and vanity, no tub. This room is directly over our foyer which only has 1 interior wall and that wall has a large doorway in it, so finding walls to run pipe is tough..

So if I can run the waste line/vent in an exterior wall, I can avoid a horizontal 90 in the waste line in the bathroom floor and cutting/sistering about 5 floor joists.

Our primary bathroom (family bathroom) has a waste line/vent in the exterior wall and we've never had a problem.

I don't know that I can fit the 3" waste line in the exterior wall, and I can't box it out because there is a stairway underneath, so if I have to run across the bathroom, turn 90 and then notch/sister a bunch of joists, I assume if I use 2 -45's to make the 90 and maintain pitch I'll be ok??
again...thanks for the advice/

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That sounds like a bad plan going through that many joists.
At the least, you would need them to be 2 x 10's and leave 2" of wood on top and bottom.
Your other bathroom may not have had to cross any joists.

tmy23

Reaction score
Terry, thanks for the timely reply. I'd rather not do that either, a lot more work. So I assume because I haven't had freezing problems with my other bath, I can run the waste line down the inside of the exterior wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks