Help adding a foot control for kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

monty

Reaction score
I am tasked with adding a foot control to our kitchen sink, my question is is there an easy way to add this without doing major cabinet tear out - add a simple button switch that is wired into the to kick to a electronic valve that would override the facuet handle on the countertop?

Anyone done this before easily?

Thanks, Monty

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Haven't seen it, but Chicago faucets makes a commercial foot valve I've been told. All of the electronic controlled faucets I found were for lavatories.You could probably hook up solenoid valves and control them with a switch, but you'd probably want one that can be driven both ways so you could leave them open without having to power them, most would be normally closed. Interesting problem. Would two switches work? One to open (momentary) and a second one to close (again momentary). It would be annoying to try to open the faucet at the sink and have no water come out...if it was left in the closed position, you'd have to hit that switch to restore it to normal operation. Someone else may have some other ideas.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Haven't seen it, but Chicago faucets makes a commercial foot valve I've been told. All of the electronic controlled faucets I found were for lavatories.You could probably hook up solenoid valves and control them with a switch, but you'd probably want one that can be driven both ways so you could leave them open without having to power them, most would be normally closed. Interesting problem. Would two switches work? One to open (momentary) and a second one to close (again momentary). It would be annoying to try to open the faucet at the sink and have no water come out...if it was left in the closed position, you'd have to hit that switch to restore it to normal operation. Someone else may have some other ideas.

This is quite possible, using a couple of relays to "seal it in." Two DPDT relays would do. I'm an instrumentation and controls engineer and this type of thing is commonly done with industrial equipment (when you're not using a PLC). Let's see if I can describe it.... Basically you connect your pushbutton in parallel with the NO contacts of the relay in series with your coil. Then you connect the other relay's other NC contacts in series with that. Then the same w/ the other. I'll draw you a pic tomorrow if you'd like.

Jason

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I was trying to stay away from something that was always energized. Lot's of ways it could be done. The simplest may be the valve he found...never seen one. Looks like it should work, though. Latching relay circuits...use them alot in radars, etc. so you can break the radiate command from various places.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
I was trying to stay away from something that was always energized. Lot's of ways it could be done. The simplest may be the valve he found...never seen one. Looks like it should work, though. Latching relay circuits...use them alot in radars, etc. so you can break the radiate command from various places.

Ya, thought I'd draw it up for others who may be interested. We're not talking about much load, but ya its still energized. Could use a motorized valve that doesn't require holding it open.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 445
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks