Help A Newbie With Softener Sizing/Valve Selection

Users who are viewing this thread

68cst

Reaction score
Trying to determine the best size water softener for my conditions. This is my 1st attempt at water treatment so I'm learning on the fly. Any input/advice is greatly appreciated!

The house was built in 2012 and is on chlorinated city water. I don't currently have a water softener installed but is plumbed for it....a 1" PEX loop in the garage adjacent to the water heater.
Here are the particulars:
  • 4 people - 2 adults, 2 kiddo's
  • 2.5 bathrooms, one of the showers has 2 spray heads, no body sprays
  • Water usage really is 60 gals per person (240 gallons per day, actual from water bill's)
  • Hardness - 10 gpg
  • Iron - undetectable
  • pH - 8
  • Highest flow I measured is at the tub filler which is 5 gpm
I read through Gary Slusser's information on SFR & capacity and used his capacity calculator:
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/sizing.php

When I plug in my numbers (10 gpg, 4 people, 60 gals/day/person) I come up with 2,400 grains capacity per day and 19,200 total grains capacity which allows for weekly regeneration with 1 day reserve capacity. These numbers result in the calculator recommending a 1.0 cu ft system.

My question or concern is that if I just slightly increase either my water usage per day or the hardness number, it re-calculates to a 1.5 cu ft system. (just going from 10 grains to 11 or increasing water use from 60 to 65 gals/person).

This leads me to believe that a 1.0 cu ft system is borderline for my circumstances and would be operating close to the threshold of it's capacity given our water usage and condition.
Am I thinking correctly? Would it be best to go to either a 1.25 or 1.5 cu ft system?

I'd also appreciate any feedback or advice pertaining to valve selection. I'm leaning towards the Fleck 7000SXT since it seems to be somewhat higher end than the 5600 and supports the higher flows of the larger capacity systems.
Thanks for your time.
Eric

Reach4

Reaction score
Bigger is good in this case; 1.5 or maybe even 2 cuft sounds like a good match. Since you are on city water, there would no problem going for 28 days between regenerations.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your unit should have a water meter to determine usage and when to regenerate, regardless of how the daily usage fluctuates. Therefore, the size is somewhat irrelevant since it will either regenerate more or less often regardless of your calculations.

Bannerman

Reaction score
You won't go wrong with either a Clack WS-1 or a Fleck 7000SXT.

While the Fleck 5600 is likely the worlds highest selling control valve, from recent observations, the 7000 appears to be similarly priced and has higher flow capability, thereby making it appropriate for a broader range of tank sizes (softening capacities).

A 48K (1.5 cuft) softener is a good size for your needs and will provide a little higher GPM capacity over a 1 cuft. If programmed to use an efficient salt setting of 6 lbs cuft (9 lbs total) to provide 30K of usable capacity per regeneration, the regen frequency will be roughly 12 days for your 2,400 grains/day household requirement.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Agreed, 1.5 or 2 cf system is ideal. The dual showerheads and 2.5 baths would tend to lean toward a slightly larger system if you want to be able to run every faucet, toilet, shower etc all at the exact same time without noticing a pressure drop. Clack, Fleck, Autotrol are all reputable high end units that will serve you well for many years. Stay away from the Fake Flecks and Fake Clack valves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks