help a new guy with a question

Users who are viewing this thread

pasquale

Reaction score
i have a submersable pump and would like to know how to disconnect it.
id like to replace the pump so my question to you is how would i be able to disconnect it from the water line.
any help would be appreciated.
if you have a schematic or step by step or even just pointing me in the right direction (website)

thanks in advance!

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I assume you're talking about a submersible pump down in your well . If that is the case the pump is on the bottom of the drop pipe going down inside the well casing . To disconnect the pump from the pipe you'd have to pull the drop pipe & pump up out of the well casing . Did the pump quit pumping or what ?

pasquale

Reaction score
ya, it did.
by any chance do you have any kind of picture or whatever that i can take a look at?
and also, is the water from the house that is connected to the pump a snap on sort of connection or is a screw type.

again, thank you very much for taking ur time to answer my questions

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Make sure you turn the power off before doing anything...

In all honesty I wouldn't try to pull that pump yourself. When you go to unhook it there is a chance you might drop the pump, then you will have to pay big bucks for a well guy to fish it out. As a plumber I won't even mess with a well pump even though my license says I can. I just do not have the experience or the right tools for the job.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
In all honesty I wouldn't try to pull that pump yourself. When you go to unhook it there is a chance you might drop the pump, then you will have to pay big bucks for a well guy to fish it out. As a plumber I won't even mess with a well pump even though my license says I can. I just do not have the experience or the right tools for the job.

I agree. I would not pull my pump either, but I did want to make sure the power OFF was a must.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

Before you pull the pump you want to make sure it is the pump and not just an electrical power problem. The pump and pipe are going to be heavy so you should not attempt pulling them until you have the correct equipment, and knowledge how to do it, on hand.

pasquale

Reaction score
thanks guys, ill try see what happens if i yank on it for a little while.. and ill keep u guys posted..

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I suggest you pay attention to the responses you got. Search the site for the proper approach to determining if the problem is the pump or something else. Until then, you may yank on other things, but not the pump and pipe.

You have not shared how deep the pump is or what type of pipe has been used. All these things plus the weight of water in the assembly can be much more that a person can handle manually. For solid pipe you have to be able to support up to 20 foot threaded sections, clamp the down-hole piece, and unscrew them to extract the pump.

Neither Lassie nor ole yellar will come to your aid if you just screw around with this.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
A man has got to know his limitiations ... call a pro! I am licensed for this type of work and still would not ever consider doing it myself. Just my two cents:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I do it for a living and wouldn't attempt it by hand. Without the proper equipment and some basic knowledge of what's down there, your shooting in the dark.

These guys all gave you good advice. The other thing is, there is no generic hook up. Pump hookups vary from place to place.

I know your going to try it anyway, aren't you?

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
On the other hand, I say until you say how deep the pump is and what material is used for the drop pipe, no one can tell you that you can't pull it yourself. They have no idea of your strength or the weight of the pump etc.

I used to pull subs from 150'-170' deep by myself using two 24" pipe wrenches to hold the pipe when I needed to stop for a break. They held everything from sliding down the well and being lost until someone 'fished' it all out of the well IF IT COULD BE.... hint.. sometimes it can't be and you drill a new well somewhere else if that's possible. So, ya feelin' lucky?

First you make sure by testing the voltage and if you have it at the well head and then turn off the power and check the ohms and continuity of the power cable and motor windings etc. etc. to see if the pump is the problem and needs to be pulled or not.

You can start learnin' here:
http://www.franklin-electric.com/business/WaterSystems/service/AIM/default.aspx

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks