Hello, I need help

Users who are viewing this thread

chrisny

Reaction score
I found this forum when I did a google search hoping to find a solution to my problem. I have been struggling with this plumbing problem for a long time. Whenever I use the shower on the first floor bathroom there is a big leak to the basement in the beginning the problem was the pipe connected to the tub from the basement was loose but a few days ago I ran into a new problem when I disconnected the tub drain from the tub when I tried putting back the tub drain it is no longer a tight fit the drain moves around the tub hole the tub hole is too big and the tub drain is not long enough to reach the pipe below. I took the small elbow and the pipe connected to the tub from the basement to home depot the employee told me there is nothing wrong with the pipes. I think I could fix this myselff if I knew what pieces I need to do the job. I would like to know what piece I need to make the tub drain a tight fit in the tub hole and is there a tub drain length long enough to reach the small elbow connected from the basement?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We cannot tell WHAT your problem is from your description. It makes sense to you, because you are there and can see it. We cannot so we do not know WHAT is too short, or too big, or anything. A picture might help. One problem is that part of your description implies that you have an enameled steel tub and the drain opening has rusted away so the opening no longer fits a drain fitting.

chrisny

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I took some pictures the first picture is of the tub drain the tub drain hole and the pipes in the basement still in place. The second picture is a view of the pipe and small elbow that should be connected to the tub drain hole as seen from the basement. The third picture is of the tub drain hole as seen from the basement with the pipes removed. The last picture is of the pipe and small elbow in the tub. I have two problems the tub drain is too small for the tub hole and it is too short to reach the small elbow.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The tub el must have a gasket between it and the tub. It may not seal properly unless the bottom of the tub opening is clean and smooth.

The waste plug must be sealed to the tub with plumber's putty or silicone rtv when it is screwed into the tub el.

Looking at the rust ring around the drain hole in the tub, it might have been leaking because the plug was not centered in the hole and/or the gasket below was rotted away.

tub.jpg

Looking at your picture, I am unsure that the tub bottom is solid enough to support sealing the drain properly.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You MUST have a thick gasket between that drain shoe, and the bottom of the tub. It gets squeezed when you wrench tighten the flange into the shoe.

The tub drain flanges are not "universal" . They come in different diameters, and different lengths of thread. You should take your old one to a plumbing store ( NOT blue or orange) and have them find the right one for you. And get a gasket.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks