Hello guys need some advice, bad smell from the grease trap room

Users who are viewing this thread

Eran1

Reaction score
my name is eran ,
I work at a retirement home and we have a pretty big kitchen,all the grease from the kitchen go down to the basement where the grease trap is located,for the past 2 years we have had bad smell from the grease trap room ,the smell is very bad and travel to the office beside it and the laundry room on the other side ( just to mantion the 2 furnaces are located in the grease trap room ),the room is also properly vented.
So far we have replaced the grease trap to a new plastic one ,but the smell still there and is traveling to the 2 rooms beside .
When I shut off the furnaces the smell is not there ,but when I turned it back on the smell coming back .
We have no clue where the smell is coming from and how to find the problems .
Any help or advise will be helpful.
I have attached the blue print of the location for better understanding.
If you require more info ,please let me know ,Thanks in advance

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For starters, pour some water down both of the floor drains. If those dry out, you have a direct line to the smells.
Most grease traps have a vent on them. Is your grease trap vented, and if so where does the vent go?
Many resturants use something like Bio-Clean for their grease traps to prevent having to empty it so often. What are you adding to yours? You should have something that is breaking down the grease.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
picture of the grease interceptor might help, because it should have a "flow control fitting" on the inlet and if so it has a "vent" on it that may be open to the room air, and when the blowers are operating they create a negative pressure and suck odors out of the drain system. Where does the A/C condensate drain to, because that is often the source of those odors.

Eran1

Reaction score
For starters, pour some water down both of the floor drains. If those dry out, you have a direct line to the smells.
Most grease traps have a vent on them. Is your grease trap vented, and if so where does the vent go?
Many resturants use something like Bio-Clean for their grease traps to prevent having to empty it so often. What are you adding to yours? You should have something that is breaking down the grease.

thanks so much guys for the replays
grease trap is absolutely new and sealed properly and was checked ,smell not coming out of it ,there is 2 vents that going up to the roof (6 th floor)from the trap ,all drain floor are with water and primers are working properly .
as i mentioned there is 2 furnaces located in the grease trap room ,when i shut them off .the room is not stinky ,when i put them back on ,its stinks .
thanks guys

Eran1

Reaction score
picture of the grease interceptor might help, because it should have a "flow control fitting" on the inlet and if so it has a "vent" on it that may be open to the room air, and when the blowers are operating they create a negative pressure and suck odors out of the drain system. Where does the A/C condensate drain to, because that is often the source of those odors.

thanks bud
there is a floor drain and it is filled with water and also primer is working on it ,flow control is all good and its not leaking.
thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks