height of shower stall...

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by rdavison39, Jan 5, 2011.

1. rdavison39

rdavison39 New Member

Hi - i am renovating bathroom where the shower stall is only 7' high which seems to be a standard. Above the shower stall is the attic. Its no problem to raise the hieght to 8' but i'm curious as to why all the showers seem to have this bulkhead. Is it just asthetics or is there a good reason why most showers don't provide the extra headroom?

Thx
    Ron
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Must be a Canadian thing....I have never seen a short shower stall. Could it be insulation? or a heating duct?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

In the old days, they also lowered the ceiling above bathtubs to the 7' level. It was an aesthetic thing, unless there is piping or ductwork in that area.
  4. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

It's a Canadian Thing.

Best I can figure out is it is to help with warmth in a cold cold home.

I have removed about 20 of these bulkheads over the past 8 years and only once found a duct line. Most times we find "Mouse Poop"... Once I found an old "Newspaper" it was great to see the old pricing for cars and homes...

Because moisture can form on the ceiling of a shower it might also be so that you can wipe the ceiling down without a ladder...

JW
  5. hj

quote; It's a Canadian Thing.

I have NEVER been to Canada, but have seen thousands of homes with a drop ceiling over the tub. They were doing it in the USA in the 50's and probably a long time before that.
  6. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

HJ don't take away "My Canadian Thing"...

:)

It must be that in the olden days people where "Shorter"....
  7. hj

7' ceilings would still be too high for "short people". I have seen some bathrooms where the installed doors on the front of the drop and used it for a linen closet.