Heavy Wall Adhesive Lined Heat Shrink Tubing Over Every Connection

Users who are viewing this thread

KristofMI

Reaction score
Since I'm building my own house and would like to make it as problem free as possible. At my workplace we use heavy wall adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. We cut it to pieces and a lot of them going to scrap. Those scrap pieces will work perfectly for applying at every DMV joint. Is there a downside to use them? Of course I will PVC glue everything but then I'm thinking to apply the heat shrink to really seal the connection. Yes I know if I do the plumbing and gluing right I don't have to worry about anything. But this shrink tubing is FREE to me and since I do the plumbing myself I don't care to spend 20 more seconds at each connection to heat shrink.
What you professionals think about it?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you want to spend the time and effort to install it after inspection.. go for it. It won't hurt anything at all... it won't help prevent any leaks either.

It might make great covers for pipe insulation splices tho.

KristofMI

Reaction score
If you want to spend the time and effort to install it after inspection.. go for it. It won't hurt anything at all... it won't help prevent any leaks either.

It might make great covers for pipe insulation splices tho.
This is marine quality shrink wrap. It's used to cover cable splices that goes underwater. I don't see how it will not work in the system that is not under pressure (the DMV) .

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is marine quality shrink wrap. It's used to cover cable splices that goes underwater. I don't see how it will not work in the system that is not under pressure (the DMV) .
Yes... in the event that your joints that were pressure tested and proven to be leak free for inspection somehow develop a leak, the shrink wrap would then likely prevent that leak at that point. Not one single plumber here could tell you if it will work because nobody has ever done it. Again, it really can't hurt anything to do it.

PepeLePue

Reaction score
No comments on if it will work or not, but how are you going to "slip" it over a connection? Wouldn't you have to do so before gluing the joints?

KristofMI

Reaction score
No comments on if it will work or not, but how are you going to "slip" it over a connection? Wouldn't you have to do so before gluing the joints?
I will just loosely slip over and move it to the side. Then slip over the connection when he's done and shrink it

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
DMV plumbing does not work under pressure, it's all by gravity and when properly glued, it will never leak. Use it underground on your waste line since roots and frozen ground can cause the pipes to move with enough force to pull apart joints.

BTW, it never freezes in South and Central Florida.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks