Heavy condensation on my pressure tank

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by dwassner, Sep 6, 2012.

1. dwassner

dwassner New Member

I have a 308ft well that was dug within the past 6 months and our pressure tank is sweating pretty bad. I understand that the cold water is bringing the temp. of the bottom area of the tank below the dew point temperature. It is a wellmate fiberglass tank that is roughly 4 ft tall. I also just installed and am bypassing a softener and assume that once in use, it will have the same issues. The pressure tank sits on a base so i cannot wrap the entire area with insulation. I would like to solve this so a mold issue does not start. Is there a jacket you can zip around the tank? Or something you could apply to the surface of the tank? thanks
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

I also have a WellMate composite tank and had no problem to wrap it in insulation. I also wrapped both the iron filter and softener. I used the foil and bubblewrap insulation. You can make cuts in it to form it to the curves and then use foil duct tape or vapor barrier Tuck tape.

I often wondered why someone doesn't come out with a wetsuit like material with a zipper.

BTW, I only wrapped the WellMate up to the high water mark. It doesn't sweat on the top third.
  3. dwassner

dwassner New Member

OK, I will try that. Did you wrap between the base and the tank? Was it only one layer of insulation? I didn't realize there was a high water mark...
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

I wrapped the bottom curve down to the plastic base but nothing under the base. I used 2 layers. As for the high water mark, my tank doesn't have a bladder. A bladder tank would be different. If it sweats all the way to the top then cover it to the top.
  5. bcpumpguy

bcpumpguy New Member

Funny you say that, there is a company on your side of our beautifull country that does, can't quite think of the name right now but once i get to work tommorow i'll let you know. But that is exactly what it is, wetsuit material with a zipper. They might only have it for filter tanks though.
  6. bcpumpguy

bcpumpguy New Member

excalibur water systems
    Telephone: 705.733.8900
    Fax: 705.733.8904
    E-mail: info@excaliburwater.com
    Address: Barrie Ontario L4N 8W8
    Canada