Heavy ceiling light installation

Users who are viewing this thread

pex006

Reaction score
Hi. I have this ceiling light and the instructions don't have it hooked to an electrical box. It is very heavy so it is fastened to the house framing. They want the installer to make a turn after the lamp cable (It is a 3 wire cable that has a green ground. Not the usual lamp cord) enters the canopy and meet up with the house wiring in a junction box. I am using a 4 square junction box that fits under the canopy. My question is should this junction box have a cover or does the canopy count as the cover as in other ceiling fixtures?
100_2466.JPG
100_2467.JPG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF it is enclosed by the canopy, you cannot "reach/access" the wires when it is in place, and if you did put a cover on it, how would the wires come out to connect to the fixture?

pex006

Reaction score
IF it is enclosed by the canopy, you cannot "reach/access" the wires when it is in place, and if you did put a cover on it, how would the wires come out to connect to the fixture?
Thanks for the reply. That's a good point you make. I just thought I might have to get some special grommet to take the light cable through the cover of the junction box. I am just used to supporting the fixture with the junction box so I wanted to make sure how this was usually handled. This is a billiard light and I usually see them wired with a plug, but this one is meant to be hardwired.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That's a good point you make. I just thought I might have to get some special grommet to take the light cable through the cover of the junction box. I am just used to supporting the fixture with the junction box so I wanted to make sure how this was usually handled. This is a billiard light and I usually see them wired with a plug, but this one is meant to be hardwired.

Do You have the Table and Bar to go with it ?

pex006

Reaction score
Yes I have the table, but no bar. Not enough room for a bar.

I have one more question if anyone can help. The light is independently supported by the house framing not the box, so I used a 4-11/16 box to have more room for the wires. I just wanted to ask if it matters how far past the edge of the box the fixture canopy extends since i used a bigger box. The canopy is 3/4 inch past the edge of the junction box. Is that ok?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
When installed, the canopy should completely cover the box so that it cannot be seen. Also make sure to connect the ground conductor(s) to to the box with the proper machine thread screw.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Just how many wires are there?? Even a 4"sq box would have been overkill in most cases.

And to confirm, the fixture canopy covering the box is all that is required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks