Heavy ceiling light installation

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by pex006, Jul 22, 2014.

1. pex006

pex006 Member

Hi. I have this ceiling light and the instructions don't have it hooked to an electrical box. It is very heavy so it is fastened to the house framing. They want the installer to make a turn after the lamp cable (It is a 3 wire cable that has a green ground. Not the usual lamp cord) enters the canopy and meet up with the house wiring in a junction box. I am using a 4 square junction box that fits under the canopy. My question is should this junction box have a cover or does the canopy count as the cover as in other ceiling fixtures?
    100_2466.JPG 100_2467.JPG
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF it is enclosed by the canopy, you cannot "reach/access" the wires when it is in place, and if you did put a cover on it, how would the wires come out to connect to the fixture?
  3. pex006

pex006 Member

Thanks for the reply. That's a good point you make. I just thought I might have to get some special grommet to take the light cable through the cover of the junction box. I am just used to supporting the fixture with the junction box so I wanted to make sure how this was usually handled. This is a billiard light and I usually see them wired with a plug, but this one is meant to be hardwired.
  4. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Do You have the Table and Bar to go with it ?
  5. pex006

pex006 Member

Yes I have the table, but no bar. Not enough room for a bar.

I have one more question if anyone can help. The light is independently supported by the house framing not the box, so I used a 4-11/16 box to have more room for the wires. I just wanted to ask if it matters how far past the edge of the box the fixture canopy extends since i used a bigger box. The canopy is 3/4 inch past the edge of the junction box. Is that ok?
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

When installed, the canopy should completely cover the box so that it cannot be seen. Also make sure to connect the ground conductor(s) to to the box with the proper machine thread screw.
    Caduceus likes this.
  7. pex006

pex006 Member

8. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

Just how many wires are there?? Even a 4"sq box would have been overkill in most cases.

And to confirm, the fixture canopy covering the box is all that is required.