Heatworks Model 1? tankless

Users who are viewing this thread

kazekai

Reaction score
Anyone on this forum heard about this new tankless water heater? I am considering about it but not much review or people has use it enough for me to go with. http://myheatworks.com/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Kayleigh Bohannan

Reaction score
in the interest of full discloser I work for the company that makes the Heatworks MODEL 1 tankless electric water heater. if you, or any one in the forum, has any questions about the MODEL 1 please feel free to ask and I would be happy to answer. we have come a long way since the kickstarter days and i am sure the nature of the questions have evolved. we are in fact the world's first fully digital electric tankless water heater. what that means is we do not use a heating element at all. instead we use graphite electrodes which, in short, means no more plating or scaling, no super heated part waiting to fail, and quicker more efficient hot water delivered to you (truly) instantaneously! i have seen this thing work in action, right before my eyes so i know this isn't as good as a consumer review but i am here to help. thanks!

manapo60

Reaction score
We are still in the process of renovating our condo's kitchen, including replacing our old electric tank water heater (we have no gas lines in our complex). After looking for reviews, and not finding much on the web, of the Heatworks tankless water heaters, I took a risk and purchased two Model 1 units through my kitchen renovation contractor. My contractor's electrician and plumber installed and connected the units in parallel, as suggested by the Heatworks User’s Manual, inside a new kitchen cabinet, to operate as a whole-house system. The Manual recommends to connect 18" of flex tubing to the unit's inlet and outlet ports before using PEX. The plumber used a combination of flex tubing and copper to make those connections.

Within two weeks after putting them into operation, one unit began to leak around the outside of the inlet port. After I called Heatworks directly for assistance, the company sent me another unit to replace (at my expense) the leaker. Less than a week after the replacement unit was installed, the other original unit uncontrollably heated water overnight (with no water running at the time, mind you) to the point that the hot water in the PEX tubing exceeded the PEX rating. This resulted in the PEX bursting, and water pouring out of the cabinet while we slept. I woke up to the sound of rushing water downstairs, two inches of water on the entire first floor of our home, and countless gallons more flowing down the street from our condo and into the gutter. The copper and flex tube connected to the unit outlet were scalding hot, well above the 115-degree setting my contractor programmed into the unit. The water damaged our brand new kitchen cabinets and tile flooring, as well as our hardwood flooring in the rest of the downstairs. Now we face more headaches to repair all the damage. Needless to say, the failure of both units in a month after installation has convinced us to go with a different solution to our needs.

So if you're thinking of going with an electric tankless water heater system in your home improvement project, just be aware of what happened to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks