Heating not turned on during summer , banging and clanging from pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

jambonsambo

Reaction score
Hi all ,

I have not turned on the central heating since March . I turned it on last night and the pipes made a very loud banging thumping racket . It sounded like there was a wild animal stuck in the wall cavities trying to get out. I turned it off as soon as this happened as it really sounded like damage could be done if it had gone on longer . Tried it again today and it is the same . It's a gas system . I'm just wondering if it is possible that there is an easy fix to this such as getting air out of the system or reducing the pressure some how.Would leaving it off all summer have let air in or caused the pipes to warp ? Would rather not pay for a Registered Gas Installer to come out and look at it if it's only a matter of flipping a switch or turning a valve .

Thanks in advance

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Turning it off for the summer is probably NOT why you have the sounds. Few people run their heat in the summertime. But without actually being there we cannot diagnose it. But, you need a heating service technician, NOT a "gas installer".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks