Heating & Cooling Furnace toronto

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by williamjames325, Oct 10, 2013.

1. williamjames325

williamjames325 New Member

Oct 10, 2013
  2. Dana

Dana In the trades

Jan 14, 2009
    The one with the smallest burner that's still big enough to cover your heat load at the 99% outside design temp is usually the "right" one, from a comfort & economy point of view. There is some evidence that oversizing condensing furnaces makes for slightly higher efficiency, but the gains are small, and it comes at a slight reduction in comfort.

Bottom line- a heat load calculation is an all-important first step for selecting ANY heating equipment.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. dj2

dj2 Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Winnetka, California
    Call 2-3 local HVAC contractors or plumbers for evaluation and estimates.

In my area, I would not use Lennox or Carrier, OOPS, I shouldn't have said that. I would go with Rheem only.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    It seems that the vast majority of HVAC contractors come in, look at what's installed, and quote replacing it with the same capacity. This is often a BIG mistake for maximum efficiency and comfort. The fact that it kept you warm only means that it was at least big enough, but an older one may be 3-5 times oversized! Every time a burner turns off, you waste some energy up the flue. You get the best comfort and efficiency when it runs longer - more constant temperatures, and the burner (sort of like your car) is more efficient once it is up to temp.