Heater question

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by D'Brie, Sep 29, 2009.

1. D'Brie

D'Brie Apprentice Plumber

Hi all,

I have a Trane natural gas forced air heater for my home (model TDE060A936KZ). It's 12 years old and I am going to schedule it's yearly maintenance soon. I am getting an error code: "pressure switch problem" so my question is; should I replace this unit with a new heater? It's in fine shape, I keep it clean but what is the average age for replacing heaters? Thanks for the time all.
  2. veesubotee

veesubotee New Member

I would go ahead and schedule the maintenance. It could be a relatively inexpensive fix.

V
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'm guessing on this, but that error could indicate the exhaust or intake air ducts have a problem...a hole or obstruction (bird's nest) or something like that could disrupt the air flow to the burner, and it could give that error, so, it might not be an actual furnace problem other than its ability to intake or exhaust air. This could prevent it from firing, which would be a major pain if it got cold. Also, some of these have a vacuum hose to the switch, and the hose may have split (like can happen on your car), preventing the switch from operating. The switch itself could be bad as well. Just like an error code on a car, it's announcing a fault, but interpreting what's causing it takes some skill and understanding of the whole system.
  4. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

12 yrs

Only 1/4th of HVAC equip. gets replaced that early.
    Call an HVAC supply house and see how much it is for a pressure switch. Some units have Built In Test Equip. and they really mean the switch itself is failing.
  5. D'Brie

D'Brie Apprentice Plumber

Thanks you guys, I have an HVAC company coming out and we'll get to the bottom of this.