Heater noise

Users who are viewing this thread

NMPastor

Reaction score
When we have used our hot water, we frequently get a high-pitched nose, almost a squeal, from our electric hot water heater. Frankly, it sounds like the noise that comes from my electric water kettle when it first starts up.

I suspect that it is from water boiling in contact with the heating elements.

We live in an area of extremely hard water, and the softener isn't always getting it s job done, I am afraid.

Do I have a problem?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would not worry about the water heater sounds. I would worry about whether the softener is doing its job.

I suggest you get the Hach 5B hardness tester to know what job your softener is doing. You might benefit from some maintenance and maybe some settings change on the softener.

How is your iron situation? Are your toilet tanks and/or bowls red with rust stains?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your water supply is a 'closed' system, the noises you describe could be the result of the water expanding while it is being heated by the WH. That water needs someplace to go when it expands, and that's usually the weakest link in the house as a leak. This could be a faucet, the toilet fill valve, or the check valve that makes the house a 'closed' system. In many places, the water meter has a check valve in it, but your water softener may have one along with if you have a pressure reduction valve. The solution to this is to install an expansion tank so that expanding water has someplace to go.

The definitive answer to this, if it's a result of the WH heating the cold water, is to install a pressure gauge with a peak reading indicator (about $15 at most any hardware store or big box store) and leave it for say 24-hours. If you have a closed system and do not have an expansion tank, the water pressure will peak after you've used a lot of hot water as the tank tries to warm the cold replacement water. Worse case, the T&P valve on the WH will open to limit the pressure to 150psi, but that's nearly double the amount allowed by code (80psi) in a residential setting. Try that, and if it peaks, add an expansion tank.

flseminarian

Reaction score
I use a titration testing kit from time to time. It appears to be doing its job adequately. Pretty hard to do it well when you range from 46 grains to 60 grains.

I would not worry about the water heater sounds. I would worry about whether the softener is doing its job.

I suggest you get the Hach 5B hardness tester to know what job your softener is doing. You might benefit from some maintenance and maybe some settings change on the softener.

How is your iron situation? Are your toilet tanks and/or bowls red with rust stains?

Reach4

Reaction score
use a titration testing kit from time to time. It appears to be doing its job adequately. Pretty hard to do it well when you range from 46 grains to 60 grains.
What you do is to mix 2 parts distilled water and 1 part raw water. Test that, and multiply by 3. At least do 1 and 1 mix.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks