Heat transfer Plates

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by williambonetto, Jan 15, 2013.

1. williambonetto

williambonetto New Member

Is there a big difference between the transfer plates that are stamped or the extruded plates. The extruded plates seem thicker so i would think that they would heat the floor a little better or for a longer amount of time. I am talking about between the floor joist heat transfer plates.

Thank You
    Bill Bonetto
    Bonetto's Carpentry
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

What you are concerned about is how fast the heat can get from the fluid to the floor. Thin plates will transfer the heat faster, but also cool down faster when the flow stops. Cast, because it has more mass, heats up slower, but also retains its heat longer.
  3. williambonetto

williambonetto New Member

So is one better than the other? Is there pros and cons of each one? It is for my own home so I would like to got with the better choice.

Thank You
    Bill Bonetto
    Bonetto's Carpentry
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is the same question about whether to use cast iron radiators, or baseboard, or fin tube baseboard. Each has its benefits and negatives. Thin plates will heat up faster, but cast will have a more uniform heat, so it is a personal preference.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013