Heat Pumps MORE Efficient to run that hot water loops ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
We have a closed loop hot water/cast iron baseboard setup.

Fujitsu ductless rep just left. Go figure but he swears he doe boiler maint. as well. Gas is generally cheaper than electric out here in NYC but he's telling me that it most likely would be cheaper to run the heat pumps in the Fujitsus than using the hot water closed loop system.

Go figure. Something about the heat pump technology.

Thoughts, feedback, etc ?

Lightwave

Reaction score
Heat pumps can be cheaper than gas boilers to operate in many locations. It depends on the local cost of gas per therm, the local cost of electricity, the climate, and the heat pump's capabilities.

For example, if you have a heat pump with an average COP of 3 for your climate, the heat pump will be cost effective as long as the total cost of electricity per therm is less than three times the total cost of gas per therm. The hard part is figuring out the average COP and the costs of energy in comparable terms.

Note that Fujitsu's mini splits won't work below 14F. If you want to use mini splits for your only heat source, you should be looking at Mitsubishi or Daikin equipment. Mitsubishi has the best low temperature performance on the market right now and Daikin makes an air to water heat pump that can drive low temperature radiators.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I was atually looking at the mini splits for ac primarily when he mentioned the heat savings possibilty.

I have yet to get quoted on the MrSlim.
It was my understanding the Mitsu and Fujis are very on par with each other.
Daikin Close.

Sanyo would be right below Daikin.

Everything else is nice, but nowhere near the quality of the above brands mentions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks