heat pump thermostat...

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by chris fox, Jul 18, 2007.

1. chris fox

chris fox Member

May 9, 2007
    near phoenix AZ
    Hi all,

I am usually over at the shower/tub section but I have an issue with my heatpump/AC system/thermostat. It runs cuts off for about 3 minutes(depending on time of day) and kicks back on. This startup cycle has got to be killing my wallet!

I had this condenser replaced 1.5 years ago the air handler is original. I have two 3 ton systems for my 1995 track Arizona home. Yes, its hot but the other unit runs longer but stays off longer too.
    Is this a thermostat issue. I read the setup instructions and couldnt find any faults during the setup. I do have the thermostat set on "hold" it is a programmable themostat but my wife is a stay at home mom so no programmable schedule for cost savings.

Any ideas before I have to make my service call?

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    This is not my area, but could it be the high pressure cutout? Or, a thermal overload? Read the user info for troubleshooting to see what if anything, has a timer on it.

Often, you can hear the thermostat activating or see the status on the display. Is it turning on and off, or is it continuously calling for the a/c function? If the compressor is operating as the thermostat asks, it may not be the a/c unit.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. chris fox

chris fox Member

May 9, 2007
    near phoenix AZ
    A typical scenario is a "click" heard at the thermostat then the air handler and condenser simutanously.