Heat pump selection (electrical)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jendoyle

Reaction score
All -

My 20+ year Bryant has taken a nose dive. I need to replace the heat pump. I've received quite a few quotes from different vendors, but I'm not sure where to start.

Does anyone have recommendations on Heatpumps or vendors.

I'm in Maryland.

5728 for a 14 SEER Trane
4877 for a 13 SEER Trane
4913 for a 15 SEER Carrier
4867 for a 13 SEER Carrier
4500 for a 2 speed high efficiency Bryant

Here are my quotes...for 2.5 ton systems.

Any assistance would be appreciate. All the warranties are similar.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I hope your quotes include replacing the indoor coil or air handler, because you CANNOT install a 13 seer heat pump with an older coil.

The distrubutor cost of a 2.5 ton trane 13 seer is probably $1000 to 1200. The retail cost to you is considerably higher. The labor to install these will be significant. Don't know what rates run in your area, but this job could run anywhere from $4500 to $10000. If your numbers include the coil and the labor, I would say you are getting a good deal .

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
There should be a SEER for the two-stage Bryant A/C. The SEER is the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio measured in (BTUs per Hour)/kW. or BTUs per kWHr.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/heat-pump-efficiency-ratings-d_1117.html

You should have a corresponding set of numbers for the heat pump aspect of the system (heat being pumped INTO the house).

The corresponding ratio for a heat pump is usually called the Coefficient of Performance (COP). The COP for a heat pump is the ratio of BTUs of heat provided to the house to the BTUs in the electricity used to run the heat pump. It is the ratio of heat you get from the heat pump to the heat you would get if you were using resistance heating. With an air-to-air heat pump, the COP is probably around 2.0 to 2.5.

I assume you are getting a combination A/C and Heat Pump.

How much of the heat pump system is being replaced?

A. Outside unit condensing/evaporating unit?

B. Inside heat exchanger? The inside heat exchanger is the condenser for a heat pump and evaporator for the A/C.

C. Piping and controls?

There have been changes in refrigerants used in the last 20 years. That sometimes requires changes in the heat exchanger, so you should make sure the performance ratios they promise you (SEER and COP) are based on what you are going to have for equipment. That should not be a big issue if they are replacing the compressor, condenser, evaporator, controls, and piping.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Good point mentioned by Bob....you may very well need to replace the line set ( the copper tubing connecting indoor to outdoor unit), as the new units ofter spec a different size than you have existing. I would like to emphasize again that you can NOT install a 13 or more SEER heat pump to a 10 SEER indoor unit. I am sure your contractor is aware of this, just be sure what the bid includes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks