heat pump refrigerant pipe insulation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by dave007, May 18, 2006.

1. dave007

dave007 New Member

I'm not exactly sure which forum this belongs in.

I have a heat pump in the back yard.

Apparently there is some type of black insulation around
    a copper pipe that carries refridgerant to or from the heat pump.
    This insulation is/was held in place with zip ties.

Anyway, this insulation is old, dried out and is coming apart.
    It appears similar to those big long pieces of black foam
    pipe insulation they sell at home depot...but not exactly the same.

If anyone has a clue what type of stuff i should get to
    replace the worn out stuff, please post the information.
    The more details (name, price, where to get it, install notes
    etc etc.) the better.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Look in the yellow pages for a HVAC supply house. Call them to make sure they will sell to you as a retail customer (some are only wholesale). You need something that has some UV inhibitors so it will have chance of lasting awhile. If you could find some pipe insulation with the right inside diameter, it would work, but home centers usually have it sized for water pipes - too big.
  3. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Make sure you only put it on the same line that has it now. Insulating the other line will only reduce your cooling capacity. The line acts as an additonal radiator.

Jason