Heat pump fan not running

Users who are viewing this thread

azbackus

Reaction score
Hi all ... I have a 5 year old Goodman roof heat pump. The fan does not run when I click fan only. When I start the cooling, I can hear the compressor run but the fan will not turn on. I have replaced the dual run capacitor and the Goodman fan delay board. Should I change out the contactor, or is the a fan motor issue.

Thanks,
Bill

azbackus

Reaction score
I activated the contactor and all worked except the fan. However, I think I am using the wrong nomenclature. I am speaking of the blower not working. The compressor and outside fan are working fine. It is the inside fan (blower) that is not working.

Bill

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The air handler's circulation fan should be triggered when the thermostat tells it to, or when its logic board realizes you have called for heat or cooling. Not all thermostats are wired nor air handlers setup to allow a manual fan on function, but many do. If the fan does not come on in either situation, first thing to check is the thermostat (manual fan on) and see if that gets the 24vac signal to the air handler. It could be lots of things; wiring, thermostat, air handler, fan, relay...

azbackus

Reaction score
The thermo cap is leaking and needs to be replaced. When I bypass the cap, the motor turns well, but it is hot to the touch very quickly. That must be what blew the cap. It appears I need to replace the motor and thermo.

Thanks for your help,
Bill

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks