Heat pump compressor not running

Users who are viewing this thread

jfryc

Reaction score
I have a 15 year old FHP geothermal heat pump, the compressor won't start. In heat mode there is a slight humming, and every 30 seconds or so louder buzzing noise for a few seconds. The compressor is getting 220V to the contacts, the resistance between the then is in the range of 3 to 7 amps. I tested the start capacitor with a simple DMM using a resistance and volt modes, seems to work as it should. Any ideas? Time for a new heat pump? Should I try a new start capacitor anyway?

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
Through disconnect switch shutting off power to the condenser unit. Test the compressor for open circuit and short wih ohm meter (ohms resistance not amps). Disconnects power leads on the compressor. Test acrossed the leads should get some reading verifying continuity (no reading results of an open circuit) and then test each lead to the compressor housing, should not get a reading, if so compressor is shorted to ground. It has been 40 years and that is about all I remember.

David_Griffin

Reaction score
Should I try a new start capacitor anyway?

You are not able to test start capacitor without the heavy load. It can look good on the table when you use multimeter but it will not work in the real circuit. Buzzzzzzing means likely a capacitor. If you had shorts then this device would blow fuses.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
How do you test in "in circuit"? As far as I know the only way to test a capacitor is to charge it up, disconnect it and put the meter across the terminals. You either need an analog meter ( old needle style ) or a fairly expensive multi with a capacitor test function.

David_Griffin

Reaction score
It is capacitor for AC circuit. Its role is to shift phase and conduct big current to the second coil. You will not measure it wit small voltage multimeter or by charging it wit DC and then discharging. You need Ampers not miliampers to test it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks