#heads per control station?

Users who are viewing this thread

craniac

Reaction score
We moved into this house three years ago. This season, two heads aren't getting enough water, and because they are pop-ups they are just dribbling water onto the sidewalk.

I tested our water pressure with a milk jug and we are getting nine gallons per minute.

There are 13 sprinklers attached to this control station.

Should I check for a clog? Or is this station just overburdened?

I've checked the filters on both heads and they are clean.

Thank you, Irrigation Wizards.

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Look up the flow each head is designed for and do the math.

9GPM is pretty week. Your pressure has to be taken into account also.

Pick up a few threaded caps and cap off a few heads and see what happens.

The Toro pop up spray heads spaced @15" that I used to use were 1GPM for 180's and 2 GPM for 360's.

Teamo

Reaction score
Are there 13 heads on the whole system or just this one zone? It sounds like it was working okay before and now there has been a change. Take the heads that are not working off and let the water flush out the lines. If the flow is good then the next thing that I would do is take out the nozzles and make sure that there is no sediment buildup. You can disassemble the heads and clean them out. Count the heads on each zone and you can figure out which nozzle you can use in each head at a given flow. Do you have the spec sheet for the heads that you have? You may have to change the nozzles to a smaller flow to get adequate performance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heads

The number of heads depends on pressure and volume. IF they are the last heads the system could be overloaded, but the pipes or heads could be obstructed.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rainbird pop ups have a plastic screen under the heads. These can get clogged. Other brands may have similar screens also. OOPS! Should have read your question closer. I see you have cleaned the screens I mentioned.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks