"Head to head" comparo of Kohler Santa Rosa and Toto Ultramax

Users who are viewing this thread

Mitchedo

Reaction score
I purchased a Toto Ultramax to go in my main bathroom. Unfortunately, it wouldn't fit due to a baseboard heater behind the toilet. I was forced to purchase the next best thing I could find, a Kohler Santa Rosa. Both models have long bowls.

Kohler advantages:
--The fill is much quieter than the Toto.
--The flush is more "conventional" and has a better bowl wash.
--It fit in my bathroom.
--repair parts available at my local Home Depot

Toto advantages:
--The flush is nothing short of amazing. A gentle Whoomp and a couple of gurgles, and whatever is in the bowl just goes away. The Kohler is good too, just not as good as the Ultramax.
--how about that seat? It's comfy and closes slowly by itself.
--much better "fit and finish". I had to rig the seat mounting on the Kohler to get it centered on the bowl. The Kohler looks like it might be a little crooked. The lid doesn't fit as nicely on the tank as does the Toto.
--the flush lever on the Toto faces the front. The Kohler faces the back. ...a small thing, yes, but I like the Toto better.
--the bowl seems to stay cleaner. I think the sides are steeper. ...could just be because the Kohler gets more use.
--Repair parts at Lowes

Equal on both:
--the water level in the bowls are about the same on both. The Toto has a sort of a diamond shape; the Kohler is more conventionally oval.
--color: The Toto white looks a little more blue than the Kohler.

If the Ultramax would have fit in my bathroom, I'd have a pair of them. The Kohler is a decent "stand in". I've gone from plunging with nearly every solid waste flush to only a single plunging of the Kohler during initial "testing" to see how much it'd flush. ...haven't been able to get the Toto to need plunging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks