HDPE OK for INDOOR Residential Drain/Waste/Vent???

Users who are viewing this thread

Gordie_Z

Reaction score
Is HDPE an OK material for and indoor re-do of the drain, waste, and vent system (DWV)? I've seen it listed as a DWV product in articles and for sale. After looking at this site a bit, it seems most residential installations use HDPE for the outside, buried portions of the DWV system - only some use it indoors. Is it a bad choice for retrofitting the indoor portion of the DWV system? For instance, it seems somewhat flexible/soft - is a discharge pipe that must angle at 45 degrees after leaving the sump pit going to droop, are horizontal runs going to droop, can it take hot water from the clothes washer (in the sump pit where it connects to the pump), etc.?

Thank you.

Gordie_Z

Reaction score
Hmmm... It's for responses like this that I asked the question. If no one answers the question of IF DWV fittings are available for residential applications that would suggest HDPE is NOT OK for indoor residential DWV use. I did find some DWV PVC fittings embedded in a catalog for HDPE fittings...

upload_2016-12-29_21-36-46.png

That makes me think that maybe the PVC DWV fittings can be used with the HDPE pipe I'm guessing all the other fittings in the catalog are for, but I really don't know. So, thanks, and let's see if any one else chimes in...

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
Building code in my area does not allow PE pipe for the indoor portion of the DWV system. Your results may vary...

Gordie_Z

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Stormrider, yep, I checked the code and it does not allow HDPE, or any PE. Not being familiar with the code, and knowing that HDPE is sometimes used for potable water I had assumed it would be allowed more broadly for drain & waste seeing the health concerns for these are less.

So, we can consider this thread closed. But, I'm looking around this page on which I'm typing my reply (and I clicked "More Options") and I don't see any where to mark it inactive. Sorry Moderator if I've missed something obvious.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Just a comment. those fittings are "gasketed" which means they are probably push fit, because there is no way to cement that pipe to a PVC fitting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the replies. Stormrider, yep, I checked the code and it does not allow HDPE, or any PE. Not being familiar with the code, and knowing that HDPE is sometimes used for potable water I had assumed it would be allowed more broadly for drain & waste seeing the health concerns for these are less.

So, we can consider this thread closed. But, I'm looking around this page on which I'm typing my reply (and I clicked "More Options") and I don't see any where to mark it inactive. Sorry Moderator if I've missed something obvious.

Sometimes knowing what you can't do is also a good post.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks