Having trouble connecting 3/4" copper pipe to 3/4" fittings.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cyelrah1, Mar 19, 2013.

1. cyelrah1

cyelrah1 New Member

Hi. I'm a beginner DIY whole house copper re piper. I have some experience with re piping and I've practiced soldering sections before beginning the job. I am aware that the pipe that is to be soldered needs to be cleaned to a bright finish, wiped off and fluxed before soldering. My problem is that I am have trouble with the simple task of connecting 10' sections of 3/4" copper to unions and 90 elbow's. The connections seems really tight and have to be worked on by turning back and forth. I'm afraid the connections are so tight that the solder won't flow properly. I bought the pipe sections at Orchard Supply and the fittings at Lowe's, but that shouldn't make a difference..........should it? Thanks
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you can get the 90's and couplings on the pipe, your're fine.
  3. cyelrah1

cyelrah1 New Member

Thanks Terry, Any tips on securing copper to floor joists? I have copper plated hanger. Will the pipe be noisy when water is flowing?
  4. DougB

DougB Member

When you have trouble with copper tubing and fittings, it's probably that the tubing was mishandled, and it's a little out of round. Before I buy tubing I make sure that a sweat coupling fit's easily - if not I try another piece of copper.

The single ear / double ear straps are OK.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It would be almost impossible for a copper tube and fitting to be so tight that the joint would be defective. IF they were too TIGHT, you would not even be able to get the tubing inserted. But, they can be too LOOSE to make a good joint. A sweat joint depends on a close connection between the tube and fitting.