Having a well drilled, need some advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Golferdude1977

Reaction score
I am looking for someone to drill my well but wanted to have a better picture of what I needed before talking with the drillers.

I have looked up the well records of several people around me so I have an idea of what my well might look like:
well 1 is my neighbors: 620 feet deep, 400 feet is the static level, and estimated gpm is 200.
well 2 is just down the street: 605 deep, 310 feet is the static level and estimated gpm is 100.

My house is 2.5 baths, 2300 sq ft. My irriation system is currently set up with 10 zones, each zone is using 8.5 to 9 gpm. I would love to boost the gpm's to 12 or even 15 gpm so I could reduce how long I have to water. My monthly water bills are using about 54,000 gallons a month with about 4000 of that house use.

I really like the idea of using a CSV type system. I have seen alot of drillers around here using a constant pressure system. So I want to learn more on the CSV and components needed to make it work.

With the irrigation system, will I need a booster pump to keep the volume and pressure up where I need it? From what I have read, it looks like anytime the irrigation system is running the pump will run. I know when the well is drilled I want them to run a draw down test to see what kind of drop it has. I usually irrigate the entire yard twice a week, might have to break it down and water half one night the other half another night and do that twice a week to reduce the draw down.

I tried to figure out things I might need and started getting confused so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is pretty deep but sounds like it makes good water. The only reason you would need a storage tank and booster is if it was a weak producing well. If your neighbors can get 100 or 200 GPM, the water level shouldn't even pull down much at 15 GPM. You will need a 3 HP, in a 15, 16, or 18 GPM series, because of the depth. Use a CSV and a 20 gallon pressure tank and you can use water any way you want up to 15 GPM.

Golferdude1977

Reaction score
Whom ever you contract, be sure to use a CSV, Don't let them sell you on the Constant Pressure Pump! It's expensive, troublesome and a nightmare.

One driller I have talked to is wanting to put a vfd. I told him I really wanted a csv type system. Looking at my irrigation system, if I shoot for 20 gpm at 50 psi, that will allow me to greatly reduce the amount of time I have to irrigate. I know this will require me going to a 5 hp pump. By going to a 5 hp pump, am I going to have problems with the 5 other days of the week when I am not irrigating? Would it be wise to have a little larger tank, 40 or 85 to take care of the flushes, brushing teeth etc., and not starting the pump everytime we do something?
I was thinking of going with the CSV1Z as that one looks like it is field serviceable and adjustable pressure. How often is the diaphram and seals needing replacing?

Gritres

Reaction score
why are you so concerned with the amount of time it takes to irrigate? do you have to move sprinklers around manually? an automatic irrigation system is very easy to setup and sounds like it'd free up half your week and allow you to use a CSV and not care if it takes forever to water.

or is this really a golf course after all joking?

Golferdude1977

Reaction score
why are you so concerned with the amount of time it takes to irrigate? do you have to move sprinklers around manually? an automatic irrigation system is very easy to setup and sounds like it'd free up half your week and allow you to use a CSV and not care if it takes forever to water.

or is this really a golf course after all joking?

It is an automatic sprinkler system. It is being run on a utility district water system with a 5/8" meter, which I believe is putting out 8 gpm. My house is 350' from the meter but have about 65 lbs of static pressure. When the irrigation system goes on, it drops to about 30 psi. I have 10 zones and they are all nozzled down to deal with the meter restriction. So by getting a larger pump, I can nozzle up the sprinklers to cut my watering time in half the time, if not more.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if there is a groundwater district in your area? If not, you might want to check and see if there is and what their local rules are. 50,000 gallons a month for watering is quite a lot of water. Your driller will have to follow their rules, so I don't think you can skirt the requirements and I wouldn't advise that anyways.

BTW: without knowing your local geology and well set-up, I would think that 200 gpm would require at least a 6" well. I know we can do about 100 GPM from a 4" well around here, but I'm not sure what the top end is limited at.

Gritres

Reaction score
oh ok you want to minimize the time it takes to irrigate because you're so used to irrigation screwing up your water pressure. I still think ideally you'd want to be able to water the lawn and take a shower at the same time (and you would be able to with an 18 GPM pump and your current sprinkler GPM).

But doesn't he have to be concerned about the pump cycling on and off every couple minutes when he's drawing water for irrigation from a small tank?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks