Have you seen this type of pipe before!?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Doherty Plumbing, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Hey guys,

I was called out to a house to add a zone off the boiler loop for a new bedroom. At first glance I thought I was dealing with copper. As soon as I started to shine up the "copper" so I could cut it and solder on a new fitting I noticed that the "copper" was shining up silver!

I asked around town a bit and couldn't find anyone that has seen or heard of this type of piping before. Instead of trying to explain it in great detail I have included pictures. In one of the pictures it looks like a 1.25" Cu X Male fitting has been soldered on.

Being heating season I don't want to cut this piping until I know exactly what it is and how I can attach new fittings on to it!

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Thanks,

Rob

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Yes I have it was used during the war when copper wasn't readily available. I believe it is copper plated steel. It's a real b***h to solder it tends to burn. If you do try to solder to it use 50/50 solder I don't think that the pipe could take the heat required with today's lead free solder.

John
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

BundyWeld was one brand of CTS steel tubing used for heating in the 50's. When new, it had tinned coating so you could solder to it, but I am not sure what your chances are after this long a time.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

wow. Not too many places you could go and find TWO people who knew about that stuff!!
    Kudos to johnj and hj.
  5. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

I hate to say it jimbo but all it shows is are age.

John