Have you ever had a bad day at work where nothing seems to go right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes.
We all have days like those. As time goes on, you seem to have fewer, mainly because you find out the hard way on some things, and you just don't wanna repeat and have it happen again.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I installed a water heater just before Christmas for one of my repeat customers. There was a leak just inside the wall to the right side of the water heater, and I told the people I would fix it as part of the job. When I got to that part, I shoved the insulation out of the way and up into the stud bay. The paper backing on the insulation lit up while I was soldering the new parts in. It's happened before and it usually goes out pretty quickly by itself or just blowing it out. Not this time.

I kept seeing a glow coming from inside the wall and it didn't look like it was going to go out by itself. I panicked a bit and reached up inside the wall and snatched the insulation out and stomped it out on the floor. While doing my little highland jig in the utility room, my torch rotated in my hand and set my shirtsleeve on fire. Brand new shirt. The insulation was from the sixties, I think, and the fiberglass was stuck on to the paper with a black tar. When I grabbed the insulation up in the wall the burning tar stuck to my fingertips on my left hand and burned the heck out of them.

Other than that, the job went beautifully. No witnesses, thank God.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks