Have some issues with hot water boiler system

Users who are viewing this thread

Jasesun23

Reaction score
Dana- they are branches. I have 2 Zones but one is a separate back room/enclose sunroom that was added later with copper pipe and slant fin baseboard. The main zone with the 2 branches do have shut off valves right below where the return pipe thermometers are. I could close one and restrict its flow a little to get the temperature to match up better. Pics below

I left the boiler off all day today. PSI was around 9 at 78 degrees (taken from return pipe well). I've been messing around all week checking psi at the drain valve so a little water gets removed each time. I've been removing little amounts of air each day on upstairs radiators and I took the expansion tank off today to confirm its psi (~12 depend on which gauge I use) which removed a little water. So with that amount of water and air it could of dropped it to 9psi, or there could be a small leak. Will keep my eye on it over the next week or two to figure out if its a leak.

Thank you everyone for your time and help and if I don't post anything in the next couple days have a great New Years.

Return Side.jpg

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It doesn't much matter if the return water branches match. The valves are there for getting the room temps reasonably matched & comfortable on both branches. Gate valves like that see excessive wear when used for adjusting flow (ball valves do much better), and may not seal completely after years of use in a half-way position. If you're happy with the room-to-room temperatures, just leave them alone. Tweaking them will have no effect on the temperature the boiler actually sees.

If you're seeing 9psi in the basement it may start to suck in air at the top of the system, depending on just what the elevation difference is between the top of the system and the pressure gauge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks