Have autotrol 440I timer control not working

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by rob742, Jun 3, 2013.

1. rob742

rob742 New Member

Hi I have a Autotrol 440I Timer control for Model AF 263-2D acid neutralozer.
    The regeneration cycle is not strarting on the programed time. I set the correct Time but when I check the time again it is always way off. How hard is it to replace the timer? Or could it just be the motor?
    Whay do I have to do to remove the whole 440I assembly?

Thanks Rob
  2. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

The timer is very easy to remove. Simply remove the "flag" on the lower left side of the timer and pull up. It could be a gear broken or the motor. You can remove the motor and see if it's turning. If it is, the timer cover can be removed to check the gearing. Softenerparts has different replacement gears.
  3. rob742

rob742 New Member

Do I need to put the tank in bypass first and release any pressure in the valve assy before I remove the Timer ?
  4. rob742

rob742 New Member

Also do you know what the odds are that it is the motor. Or from experience do the gears break more often?
  5. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

Yes it is best to put the unit on bypass. The gears are a weak point on the Autotrol valve so it may be more likely a gear is broken. Both are very easy to see so you can check them before ordering parts.