Have a problem pipe in my barn not sure how to fix advice please?

Users who are viewing this thread

rdavis

Reaction score
Hi, I have a small insulated office area(mancave) in my barn. It has a 1" ID pvc coming thru a concrete slab. Unfortunately it cracked all the way to the slab. I tried a couple different things with no luck.

What I have now is the pipe cut off flush with the floor. I am trying to figure out what to do with this without replacing it because not only would it require a lot of digging it's under a deck to boot.

My first (and last) failed attempt was taking a piece of the same size pipe and turning it down in my lathe so it just fit and telescope it. Unfort the glue didn't create a seal and water squirted out of one small spot. I am tempted to try this again but with a different glue like some loctite caulking and then caulk around the seam as well. But I want to ask what you all would do?

I just had the idea that maybe I could drill out the concrete the pipe to just enough depth to get a coupler on it but not sure if I could do that without damaging it I don't know.

One last note i'm not afraid of hard work this is more of a time issue. I have a million other things i'm trying to get done before winter and I don't really have to have water out there but if it were something I could fix relatively quick I would do it.

Thanks for any advice!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Drill holes around the pipe, but near it. The use a hammer and chisel to remove the concrete between the holes. It should also break loose around the pipe. Then put a coupling on it. Since it is a water pipe, under pressure, none of your other ideas will work. They do make "insert" couplings but they are almost impossible to find, and normally you cannot buy just one.

rdavis

Reaction score
Drill holes around the pipe, but near it. The use a hammer and chisel to remove the concrete between the holes. It should also break loose around the pipe. Then put a coupling on it. Since it is a water pipe, under pressure, none of your other ideas will work. They do make "insert" couplings but they are almost impossible to find, and normally you cannot buy just one.

Thanks. I kinda got that idea as I was typing my post but just wanted to run it by you all here. Would be doing that tonight if I could find my darn bits lol. I live in the stix so it will have to wait on the next trip to town. I didn't think the telescope idea would work but now I know.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
A 3/4" PVC pipe won't quite fit, if you turn it down or some way attach it to a drill and sand it down it should glue back together with PVC cement. Also rough up the inside of existing pipe.

A 3/4" threaded coupling or threaded nipple will fit inside 1" PVC pipe. Rough up the inside of 1" PVC and use epoxy to form a permanent bond. If this is for human potable water, epoxy is pretty inert after curing, but you might not agree. I've used quite a bit of West Systems epoxy on many things and their G-Flex is not going to come apart. Ever.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks