Has anyone ever seen a 3/8" Female Compression - 1/2 Male Pipe Adapter ?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by chefwong, Sep 6, 2006.

1. chefwong

chefwong New Member

I've checked quite a bit of supply shops around my way and no one seems to carry it. One shop has multiple locations in my area and they advised me that X store showed they had another location had it in stock.

So I head on down and the guys tells me no......

Argh....
  2. chefwong

chefwong New Member

BTW...it must exisits somewhere. If anyone has them and don't mind shipping some...I wouldn't mind getting a couple.

I know 3/8 compression female adapters don't seem so common but for example, I have a couple of 3/8 compress female to 1/4 compression male I picked up awhile back.
  3. yes they exist

I keep some in my truck 3 or 4 of them

probably have 50 thousand miles on them already

just driveing around with me.....

They are very handy for those

"special combat situations" you can find yourself

in every so often..usually at 6 in the evening.......

they can be very very handy when you are about

to break down in tears..... ( I do that every so often)

In our town they can be picked up by the
    handful at ECONOMY PLUMBING CO 317-264-2240

that place has all sorts of bastart brass compression
    fittings you never need very often
  4. chefwong

chefwong New Member

Ha. Good Read. Thanks for the numba

Call me old school but I'm just not comfortable with compression fittings...over long term. It's for a DW hookup and the water feed has a 3/4 module that goes to the feed side. I'd rather stay threaded for the setup of I can.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

fitting

The only fittings I have ever seen that go onto a compression thread were specialized, and few were intended for anything other than a low pressure usage. Even a compression cap will not always seal tight without a washer inside it, which would block your adapter. Why can't you remove the compression fitting and replace it with a threaded one?
  6. chefwong

chefwong New Member

Compression angle stop is soldered on.

I'll take a pic but it it's copper tee from the cabinet wall. Top has angle stop for sink. Bottom has another angle stop which was meant for the DW.

I currently have a 3/8 compression x 3/4" male adapter via small tubing hooked up to the angle stop. I'm just not a fan of doing a compression fitting....more chances of leaking down the road down versus a threaded setup IMO.
  7. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

I'll take anything else over a threaded fitting.
  8. hj

fitting

Screwing a fitting onto a compression thread has a lot more chance of leaking than using a conventional connection, unless the fitting has a ground joint nosepiece like the Brasscraft Add-a-Tees
  9. Mikey

Back to the original question -- Lowe's carries them

I forgot how much they are, maybe $2 or so. It's on the big display of brass fittings, Watts part no. A-124.
  10. hj

fitting

You did not read the original posting correctly. The A-124 is a conventional 1/2" fip by 3/8" compression fitting. It screws onto a pipe and then the copper is inserted into the compression side. He wants a fitting to screw onto an existing 3/8 compression thread and then convert it to ips size, male or female.
  11. Mikey

The thing I had in my hand had a 1/2" male thread on one end, 3/8 compression fitting on the other, but I see what you mean (and what he needs). It wouldn't be a tough thing to fabricate, but I'm not sure how you'd seal the 3/8" end, if all he had was the 3/8 male thread. If it's truly a compression fitting, just fit in a short piece of 3/8 copper -- getting the other end to 1/2" is easy.
  12. hj

fitting

He doesn't want the compression ring and ferrule, otherwise he could run 3/8 copper all the way.
  13. Mikey

Now that I've read the whole thread again, I understand. I'll butt out now...
  14. chefwong

chefwong New Member

I wanted to test your post about leaking...
    FWIW, my KA fridge has a 1/4 tube on it already. I am using one of those 3/8 female compression to 1/4" tube adapters and have the tube connected to the adapters with no leaking whatsover. I do have pipe dope on the adapter threads and also the 1/4" thread as well.

I picked up a 3/8" compression cap. Unless I'm doing something wrong...there is no washer, etc required under the cap. I put pipe dope on the angle stop and then the compression cap. Turned on the water feed and it did *drip drip drip*.

So I guess compression fitting it is ;-) So far, it's been leak free ....just not comfortable with a compression fitting as opposed to threaded.