Hardiebacker vs Greenboard

Users who are viewing this thread

Idoc4u

Reaction score
I have roughed in a shower so that I will put wall board behind the acrylic shower walls as opposed to attaching the shower walls directly to the studs. I believe this will add stability.

Would it make more sense to use cement board vs greenboard behing the shower walls since I will need to drill a hole for the shower valve and a hole for the shower arm thereby potentially not exposing gypsum to H2O?

This way if water ever leaked behind the acrylic shower wall surround, it would not damage greenboard. So you'd have stud/cement board/acrylic shower surround/and then greenboard over the flange of the shower wall.

An alternative idea I have is to use greenboard, but just leave a gap between the studs where the valve is located behind the shower surround. In this case, I wouldn't need to drill any holes since there would be no drywall covering the valve. It would look like: stud/greenboard/surround/greenboard over the sourround flange.

Thanks for your opions.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
IMO, with the acrylic panels, cement board will be an overkill.

Cover the entire walls with greenboard or blueboard and leave the hole around the shower valve only as if you are going to tile. Then glue the acrylic directly onto your boards.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless the surround installation instructions call for it, I wouldn't put anything there. Greenboard really isn't much better than normal drywall, and in most (national) codes is no longer approved for damp areas. Having it there may make the edges of the surround difficult to position properly to trim out.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Of course I am refering to the 1/8" shower wall panels. If the walls are rigid and self supporting, then no drywall is required.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Cement board is only used on tile installations to give the tile a proper surface to adhere to, and because grout is porous. The plastic walls you are talking about are not porous, so you don't need to use cement board (and a proper vapour barrier). Your valve trim will seal off any water exposure, and if it doesn't because of improper installation, by the time you have enough water damage from shower spray, you will have bigger problems than soggy drywall...like mold or rot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks